Thank goodness for Pinterest and the easy access to alternative types of cooking. I found this No Cook Chocolate Mousse recipe that fit the bill when I was searching Pinterest for no sugar desserts. This recipe uses avocados as the base for an uncooked mousse. Don't stop reading here if you have never tried it!
You can find anything nowadays - gluten free, vegan, raw -you name it. I was entertaining a guest who is avoiding flour and sugar
Another friend had served me gluten free chocolate cupcakes that used avocados for body and they were delicious. I might have passed over the recipe had I not already been exposed to avocado as a vehicle to deliver a chocolate fix!
The recipe I tried did not turn out very well. It was too stiff and not silky enough so I modified it dramatically. One thing I learned during the remake is that the ripeness of your avocado has a huge influence on your final results. They must be very ripe- almost what you might consider over-ripe if you were eating it plain or as part of a salad.
Thankfully that should not be hard to arrange... how often do you check your avocados and they are too hard and the next time you look they are totally soft and mushy? Well now you know what to do with them!
On the other hand if your avocados are too hard check out How to Ripen Avocados Same Day.
The ingredients in this mousse are so healthy! Avocados, cocoa, chia seeds, coconut oil! I think it is healthy enough it might just qualify as breakfast without guilt! It comes together in just minutes in your blender- no cooking! The mousse needs a bit of time to set -about 30 minutes. But it seems to be stiff enough out of the blender so I think you could cheat on that 30 minute figure!
It also keeps well in the fridge although it is a bit stiffer and denser on the second day.
Pin it for later!
- 2 medium avocados very ripe
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsps coconut oil extra virgin
- ½ tsp chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsps Almond milk or cream as needed if mousse is too stiff in the blender
- raspberries or nuts for garnish
- Put all ingredients except milk or cream in your blender and mix thoroughly. Depending on how soft and creamy your avocados are - you may need to add more liquid and/or tamp the ingredients to help the blending. Add liquid as necessary until mousse is well blended.
- Divide among 4 small bowls and add topping of your choice. Refrigerate 30 minutes to allow mousse to set and flavours to blend.