This Creamy Garden Pea and Mango Salad will remind you of peas right out of the pod! I used to love eating peas fresh out of the pod from the garden! So when I came across some fresh peas the the Farmer’s market I snapped them up.
This is a great way to get your veggies in. Much as I like salad greens it is nice to be able to take advantage of other fresh produce when it is in season. When sweet onions are in season they are so mild they make a nice addition. We are fortunate we can buy mangos all year round.
The main thing here is not over cook the peas. You don’t want them to wrinkle! You just want to take the edge off the crunchiness.
You can substitute frozen peas. In that case do not add water to them when you microwave. Be careful not to over cook.
Enjoy.. hopefully you can still catch the end of pea season. If not you can use frozen. The flash freezing techniques today are really good at preserving flavour, texture and nutrition. They actually say fresh-frozen vegetables may have more nutrients than ‘stale’ fresh vegetables!
You can make this salad ahead and it will hold well. So it is great for picnics, pot lucks, BBQ sides
While I was experimenting with fresh peas I also made a Savoury Fresh Pea Salad with a lovely dressing full of fresh herbs such as tarragon, thyme, mint and basil.
The herb dressing for the salad above actually came from this delicious dish Fresh Corn Risotto with Shrimp and Salsa Verde.
- 2 cups fresh peas if using frozen microwave about 2 minutes with no added water
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper minced
- 1 mango diced
- 1/4 cup sweet onion diced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 4 Tbsps mayonnaise
- 4 Tbsps sour cream
- 3 Tbps rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Add 1 Tbsp water to peas and microwave on high 2 minutes. Do not over cook. You do not want them to wrinkle.
- Mix dressing ingredients well.
- Add mango, onion, roasted red peppers and red pepper flakes, if using, to the peas in a bowl. Add dressing and mix well.