Roasted Chickpeas make the best guilt free snack! They pack a big flavour punch with lots of spices. These are so good I can hardly believe they are healthy – but they are!
Chickpeas are so versatile. You can crush them and pretend they are hard boiled eggs for an eggless ‘egg’ salad. They add protein to salads. They can be the star of a salad.
Now they can become your favourite snack too!
Drying the chickpeas is essential to avoid mushy snacks. 30 minutes is a minimum but I find 60 minutes is even better to get uniformly crispy peas.
When you are making up your spice mix be sure to use garlic and onion powder (not salt) or your snack will be too salty – and no longer healthy!
These will disappear quickly so you may want to double the recipe!
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsps paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Drain the liquid off the chickpeas and rinse. Lay out a couple of layers of paper towel. Spread the chickpeas out in a single layer. Remove any of the translucent skins that are falling off. Top with another layer of paper towel.
- Allow chickpeas to dry 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Spread the chickpeas out in a single layer being careful not to crowd them.
- Roast about 40 minutes and then check them. The smaller ones may be crunchy and the larger ones may need more time. This step is important because if you take them out too soon they will not be crunchy. Roast up to another 20 minutes as needed but watch so they don't burn.
- When they are done pour them into a bowl right away. Toss with the 2 Tbsps olive oil. Then toss with the spice mix.
- Serve at room temperature.